Play Fantasy Use your Fantasy skills to win Cash Prizes. Join or start a league today. Play Now
Blog Entry

Garcia leaving Memphis for pro opportunity

Posted on: December 12, 2010 8:16 pm
Edited on: December 12, 2010 8:20 pm
 
Angel Garcia is leaving the Memphis basketball team to play professionally overseas, coach Josh Pastner said Sunday night. It's a development that led to Pastner removing the redshirt from freshman Hippolyte Tsafack because the Tigers need help in a suddenly thin frontcourt.

"Angel is a sweetheart of a person and a terrific basketball player," Pastner said. “We fully support Angel in his decision to play professional basketball in Spain and will continue to follow his career. ... We wish him all the best and happiness as he pursues his basketball career at the professional level."

Garcia, a 6-foot-11 junior, was averaging 6.1 points and 3.0 rebounds.

Tsafack is a 6-8 freshman from Cameroon. He'll add depth to a once-deep roster that's now missing three players who were a part of the team this preseason. In addition to Garcia, Memphis has lost Jelan Kendrick permanently and Wesley Witherspoon temporarily. Kendrick, a 6-6 wing, was essentially dismissed from the team because of conduct issues. He's expected to transfer to another Division I school at the semester. Witherspoon, a 6-9 forward, had surgery last week to repair a torn meniscus. He's expected to be sidelined until mid-January.

The Tigers are 7-1 and ranked 18th in the latest Top 25 (and one).

They play Austin Peay on Thursday.
Comments
jamammy
Since: Feb 15, 2009
Posted on: December 14, 2010 10:20 pm
This comment has been removed.

Post Deleted by Administrator




Since: Jan 21, 2008
Posted on: December 13, 2010 11:31 pm
 

Garcia leaving Memphis for pro opportunity

You are a total Moron. How many of the college players actually make it to the pros. Less than 5% the other 95% had better get a education. I have 2 kids playing college baseball in Jr. Colleges and I love the fact that they are getting a part of their education for playing a game they love. Let teh top 25-30 players go play pro ball and the NCAA will keep on rolling.


XSGame
Since: Mar 29, 2009
Posted on: December 13, 2010 10:54 pm
This comment has been removed.

Post Deleted by Administrator




Since: Nov 3, 2008
Posted on: December 13, 2010 12:46 pm
 

Garcia leaving Memphis for pro opportunity

Gary, I don't get keeping this team ranked... I'm not yet convinced they're a top team.  I know you think talent trumps everything, but I could see them losing the only decent games left on their schedule, Georgetown and Tennessee.  At the end of the year, will they have a single RPI top 50 win?  They may have only a couple or three in the top 100.



Since: Oct 28, 2010
Posted on: December 13, 2010 10:30 am
 

Garcia leaving Memphis for pro opportunity

This may be a blessing in disguise. The dude is a bum and a liability on the court. His perimeter play and lack of defensive awareness has messed with the synergy of the time when he is getting minutes. I hope Hippo can come in and make an impact. It is not like we are going to miss Angel's outside shooting cause he is 5 for 17 behind the arc. I wonder how many of those attempts were NBA range? I know Hippo will stay under the basket and at least bang. I wish Angel all the luck in the world and him leaving at this stage of the the seasons does thin us out, but Hippo is going to add a totally different element to the Tigers.



Since: Oct 16, 2007
Posted on: December 12, 2010 10:37 pm
 

Garcia leaving Memphis for pro opportunity

Wrong about the Jelan thing, Parrish. I thought you had tweeters, boa. What a busta. Don't listen to Halo, that dude is cwazy, main.



what the heck are you talking about?


jamammy
Since: Feb 15, 2009
Posted on: December 12, 2010 9:41 pm
This comment has been removed.

Post Deleted by Administrator




Since: Apr 20, 2009
Posted on: December 12, 2010 9:30 pm
 

Garcia leaving Memphis for pro opportunity

Play pro ball?

Did I miss something?   He was barely playing college ball for my beloved Tigers. Not to be mean here, but given his non-production this season, this may be a piece of good fortune. Everyone says that Hippolyte has been dying to play.....now's his chance......this could get interesting!


The views expressed in this blog are solely those of the author and do not reflect the views of CBS Sports or CBSSports.com